Sunday, June 21, 2009

Scottsdale BBQ Company Review



I woke up yesterday morning and really wanted some BBQ food. You know, pulled pork, beef brisket, cole slaw... the works. So I jumped on the computer and started looking up good recipes. I ran into a few problems: a) Those things take about 8 hours to make... except the cole slaw. b) You normally cook about 3-5 pounds of meat at a time (we don't eat that much). c) I unfortunately only have a baby grill, a left over from living in an apartment, which is not nearly large enough for 5 pounds of meat. So... I took the much much easier route and just looked up BBQ places instead. :)

I originally found Honey Bears BBQ, which is supposed to be the best in Arizona (the slogan is "You don't need no teeth to eat our meat"). However, it was too far away, (there is a limit to my BBQ craving). Then I remembered that there is a BBQ place about a block away that I have been eyeing for a long time. It happens to be right next to a grocery store and I need to do some shopping... so the excuse was set! Off we went to Scottsdale BBQ Company.

The BBQ joint is set deep in the corner of a strip mall, so you have to follow the little signs to find it. I knew I was going to like the place as soon as I walked in to the smell of smoked meat. It's a small quaint place with the typical checkered table cloths and a flower right next to the mondo napkin holder on each table. Any BBQ lover knows that an abundance of napkins are a must. It features free wifi and had magazines hanging on a wall, which was a nice touch. After taking a quick look at the menu (I knew what I wanted before I even went in) we wandered up to the counter and ordered from the owner/cook. It appears to be a one man operation, and he seems to do quite a bit a business. I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with some slaw and Ariana had a smoked beef sandwich.

The food came out fast and both sandwiches had about a pound of meat each! The BBQ sauce (which comes on the side so you can add as much as you want) was delicious! The pork was melt in your mouth tender without being mushy. There was no dicernable fat, which doesn't mean there wasn't any, it was just cooked perfectly so you couldn't tell. The BBQ sauce was a spicy Kansas City style sauce, done really well. The beef was equally tasty, cut thin and layered on a bun. It was very tender, juicy, lean and slightly smokey. To wash it down Airana had Carolina sweet tea and I had fresh squeezed lemonade, perfect for BBQ food. The slaw was very good as well, though not the best that I have had. If you couldn't tell... we loved it and know that we will be back, many times. Out of four forks, we give it a solid three and a half! Mmm..mmm I love BBQ!

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Ohh that looks yummy! Glad to hear you are taking the weekends off for awhile. Give those hard working legs a break my dear! And what better time to take some time off. Its HOT out there! :)