Saturday, October 24, 2009

100 mile week update

Matt and I just returned from Tucson. This morning Matt ran 21 miles, and I ran 24 on the marathon course. It was a great, solid, run. Our good friends Terri, Mark, and Mark ran as well. We all shared a hotel room last night and were on the road running at 6:30am. The weather got quite warm as the sun came up, but everyone finished really strong. A very fun trip! We laughed and laughed!

I am THISCLOSE to finishing my 100 mile week. I have 94 as of today. Tomorrow, I have 6 slow, recovery miles to take me to 100! This is what my week looked like:

Monday- 12 with hills am, 4 recovery pm
Tuesday- 13 miles easy am, 5 miles track practice with 3x1600 repeats pm
Wednesday- 8 miles recovery am, 4 miles recovery pm
Thursday- 12 miles general aerobic run am, 4 miles recovery pm
Friday- 8 miles easy am
Saturday- 24 miles @ 7:33 pace
Sunday- 6 recovery

Besides tired legs, I didn't find the 100 mile week to be as mentally and physically draining as I expected. I feel really, really, good about it. If I can do well on 24 miles during such a high-mileage week, I think I can do well at the marathon after a nice taper. This is the only 100 mile week in this training cycle I will do though. I don't want to burn out. I have a few more weeks of high 80's and 90 miles coming up.

I treated the run today like a dress rehearsal for the marathon (not as fast of course!) So all week long, I have been living off of chicken, rice, quinoa, yams, and oatmeal. I am off to get a slice of pizza! I have been dreaming about pizza for 3 days!

Pictures from today- ok, I look super gross, but I had put water on my head and it was so hot outside. How on earth does Terri look so cute after running for 3 hours? So not fair. :)

1 comment:

Terri and Mark said...

Way to go on your first 100 mile week! You make it look so easy!!
Love the pic of the boys- Matt's face is so funny.
xo