Saturday, May 23, 2009

AZ RoadRacers Summer Series Race #1

My goal for this summer was to break 20 minutes in the 5k. (3.2miles)My old PR is 20:53 which I set at the turkey trot in November.
I was up at 4:30am, off to do part of my scheduled 12 miles for today. I did 7 miles, and tried to take it easy for the race. I went home, changed, drank more coffee, then Matt and I drove to the race. I was really nervous, like always, and I was just not feeling great about it. There were some really fast, intimidating, looking women out there!
Because of the large amount of people, you started the race in waves. My wave was 12 minutes after the 7:30am start time. I forgot my Garmin at home, so I had no idea what my pace was the entire time. I felt lost! ;)

Long story short, it was hot, humid, I wanted to stop running and felt slow and out of breath. I pushed myself, although it was very hard for me!

I came in and ended up smashing my PR with a 19:42 time (6:21 min/mile average) and was the third woman over-all! First woman came in at 16:4x, holy smokes! I was in awe! She even beat all of the men!Even the 2nd place woman was at an 18:xx. So now I will re-adjust my goal, I would love to work to be as fast as those women. What an inspiration.
I don't know how I did in my age group, they took the over-all winners out of their age-groups, so when the results are up online, I will post them. My friends from ARR, Terri, Jan, and Jim all took first in their age groups! WOOHOO!!!
Time for my post-run beer!

Results page: AZ RoadRacers Summer Series #1
I was second in my age group, the first place overall gal was in my age group at 27. I found out (hey, I know people..:) ) that she is an olympic qualifier and 2nd place female is a Texas A&M track star. Wow!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Congrats! That is blazin' fast! My goal for my fall cross country season is to break 20, so you are an inspiration! :)